Welcome First Graders!
My name is Amy Verbeke and I currently live in Reno, NV. I grew up in Michigan and moved to California 10 years ago. I graduated from UC Irvine and have performed at Disneyland Resort for a number of years. I’ve also performed with Disney Cruise Line sailing onboard with people from all over the world.
I’ve worked at Goddard preschool for 2 years, was a substitute teacher with SNACS this past school year, and now excited to be with your 1st graders! I love to travel, sing and dance, and spend time outdoors hiking, swimming, snowboarding, and skiing!
2019-2020 1st Grade Supplies
Pencils: Ticonderoga or USA Gold 2 Pre-Sharpened Pencils, 12 pack
- Ticonderoga pencils are the best pencils and they last a very long time!
- USA Gold pencils are perfectly fine and last a good while.
- 2-3 Glue Sticks (No liquid glue please!)
- 1/2 inch 3-ring binder: solid bright color such as yellow, pink, light blue, light green, pink, etc. (please include your child’s name on folder)
- Two pocket folders: one yellow and one of your child’s choosing for homework (please include child’s name on homework folder. i.e.: Charlie’s Homework Folder) On the yellow folder please include your child’s name and write: “Important Folder”
- Composition Notebook Journal BLACK (Staples has them on sale!)
- 1 box of crayons 24 count
- Watercolors (preferably 8 color template) with brush included
- Erasers: 1 package of 3
- 1 box Tissues
- 1 container of Disinfectant Wipes
- 1 Hand Sanitizer, 30 oz. (last name A-G)
- 1 roll of paper towel (last name H-Z)
- Markers (at least 8 count)
- Extra clothes (please put a shirt, a pair of pants, underwear, and socks in bag with name on bag. These will be kept in the classroom in case of emergency.)
What’s Happening for 1st Graders
This week’s objectives:
ELA Reading Street “Pig in a Wig”
- Identifying and describing characters, setting, plot
- short /a/, -ck consonant pattern, short /i/, consonant x, ks sound
- Compare/contrasting to real life situations
Math Pearson Unit 2
- Solve problems by finding missing parts from the whole
- Using subtraction with numbers up to 9
- Write subtraction number sentences
This week’s homework:
Reading at home (15-20 mins)
Math worksheets when given
AR (Accelerated Reader) – Minimum Read 15-20 min./night
Our class will spend an extensive amount of time discussing our classroom rules throughout the school year. All children are expected to follow our classroom rules.
Listen when someone is talking.
Follow directions the first time they are given.
Treat everyone with kindness and respect.
Take care of our school and classroom.
Work and play safely and quietly.
It’s ok to make mistakes!
Learning Through Choice
First grade Choice Board Options
Must Do’s (Complete all each week)
- Reading with Teacher
- Writing Center – Narrative story
- Vowel/consonant worksheet
- AR Reading
Can Do’s (Choice Centers)
- Student Literary Art Magazine
- Literature – Picture Response
- Free Draw
- Language – Word of the Day, Sightwords
- Alphabet Bingo
- Shape manipulative
- Counting games
- Computer math games
- Addition Flashcards
- Silent Reading / Buddy reading
Parents and Guardians, please know that you are welcome in the classroom. I am always in need of volunteers to assist students with daily classroom activities, correct papers, or read to students. You can fulfill your required volunteer hours (10 hours per month) in this way. Please be sure to complete the volunteer requirements in order to help in the classroom or assist with field trips as well as other school activities. The school office staff will be happy to assist you with this. Volunteer hours can also be accumulated by donating items for the school and classroom!